Growing up in Memphis, BBQ was on the menu quite often. It was always one of momma'a favorite foods, too. So if we weren't ordering takeout BBQ, it was being cooked at our house. Here's my take on chicken BBQ, which is the absolute most perfect recipe for leftover chicken!
Grocery list (4 people):
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce - chopped
- 1-2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded chicken (I use leftover meat from a rotisserie)
- 4 hamburger buns (I homemade mine using this easy recipe from Taste of Home)
- Apple Arugula Slaw - for topping (search recipe on Andrea's Cooktales)
1. In a large saucepan, sauté onions with 1/4 tsp salt over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and sauté one minute. 2. Add ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar, Dijon, maple syrup, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, Worcestershire, liquid smoke, and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to a slight boil and simmer until somewhat thickened (if sauce gets too thick add water).
3. Put shredded chicken into a bowl and toss together with as much sauce as you'd like.
4. Open buns and stack each bottom half with about 1/2 cup BBQ chicken. Top chicken with my Apple Arugula and Orange-Bourbon slaw.
CHEERS TO HAPPY EATING!