Everyone knows Halloween is my favorite holiday of all! The week of Halloween, I always make my famous Halloween chili and we have friends over to watch scary movies. This chili has been a Halloween specialty since I can remember!
Grocery list (8-10 people):
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground bison
- 1 lb ground chorizo
- 4 slices of bacon
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 onions – chopped
- 2 Poblano peppers – seeded and chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper – seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper – seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper - seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper - seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic – minced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp Kosher salt – plus more to taste
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 2 chilis in adobo sauce - chopped, plus two tbsp. of the sauce
- 2 32 oz cans whole San Marzano tomatoes – broken up
- 1 can Rotel
- ½ can tomato paste (3 oz)
- ½ bottle chili sauce
- 2 cans kidney beans
- 2 cans mild chili beans
- 32 oz of chicken stock, plus more for thinner chili
1. In a large skillet, cook and drain the ground beef, ground bison, and chorizo. You can do these one at a time. Set all the cooked meat aside. Wipe the pan out and fry the bacon. Set bacon aside. Heat half of the bacon grease and 2 tbsp of butter over medium high heat. Add the chopped onions with a dash of salt and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add the Poblano peppers, Anaheim pepper, jalapeno pepper, green bell pepper, and red bell pepper with a dash of salt and sauté until peppers are soft. Add the chopped garlic and sauté one more minute, stirring everything together well.
2. Transfer the veggie mixture and the meat to a very large soup pot over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, chili powder, Kosher salt, oregano, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and cayenne to the pot. Stir spices together well with the meat and veggies and let cook together for about 3-4 minutes.
3. Finally, add the chopped chilis and adobo sauce, San Marzano tomatoes (continuing to break the whole tomatoes up into pieces), Rotel, tomato paste, chili sauce, kidney beans, chili beans, and chicken stock. Stir together and let come to a slight bubble. Lower the heat and let simmer on the stove. Finally, add the chopped bacon bits and give it one final stir. Serve with cooked noodle shells, tortilla chips, sour cream, cheese, avocado, chopped onions, and whatever your heart desires!
CHEERS TO A HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!