It's my favorite time of year! Time to light a fire in the fireplace and cozy up with a big pot of soup. Honestly, I can eat soup all year - even when it's 200 degrees outside (yes, it feels like 200 degrees sometimes in Memphis). Soup is one of my favorite foods, but when it gets chilly, it's ideal and comforting.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb chorizo
- 1 large onion - diced small
- 2 large or 3 small orange, yellow, or red bell peppers - diced small
- 2 medium zucchini - diced small
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 - 3 chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce - minced
- 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5) cans of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- Tortilla Chips, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Sour Cream, Cilantro - for serving
1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a Dutch oven or pot. Cut chicken tenders into small strips or cubes. Add to the pot and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Add the chorizo to the pot. Cook for several minutes until the chicken and chorizo start to brown and is cooked through, breaking up the meat into small pieces as it cooks.
2. Add the onion and bell pepper to the pot with a dash of salt and pepper. Let cook until softened. Add the zucchini and garlic with another dash of salt and pepper and let cook until fragrant and softened, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander, stir together and let cook for another minute.
3. Add the chipotle peppers with some of their sauce, the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and let simmer. Before serving, taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve with crumbed tortilla chips, cheese, and green onions on top.
CHEERS TO HAPPY EATING!!!