A few weeks ago, I was eating pizza when I looked down at one piece and a thought occurred to me that is never had before: upside down pizza looks like a Christmas tree. So of course, I had to turn it into a recipe. This is so much fun to do with friends and family, and I bet kids would love it! the toppings are all up to you, but I stuck to red and green ones to make it extra festive! Because this recipe is very freestyle, I've included plenty of pictures to inspire y'all!
Grocery list (makes 24 trees):
- 3 pizza dough balls (store bought or homemade)
- Vodka Sauce
- Basil pesto
- Shredded Mozzarella
- Freshly grated Parmesan
- Crumbled Goat cheese
- Shredded Smoked Gouda
- Cooked ground sausage or mini meatballs
- Cooked bacon - crumbled
- Sun dried tomatoes - chopped
- Banana peppers - chopped
- Roasted red pepper - chopped
- Basil - chopped
- Jalapeno - sliced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Solid wrapping paper or table cloth - optional
- White or black paint pen or Sharpie - optional
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out each dough ball into a 12 inch circle. Slice each circle into halves, then fourths, then eighths to make 8 "tree shaped" triangles out of each circle. You should have exactly 24. Using a pairing knife, one tree at a time, cut 2 slits at the base and trim the extra dough to make a "trunk." Line the trees onto olive oil greased baking sheets and partially bake the trees for about 3 minutes. Place the trees on a platter or pizza peel to serve.
2. Line a table, buffet, or bar with solid color wrapping paper or a plastic table cloth. Prep ingredients by placing each one in a bowl, glass, board, or platter - get creative, you can display them however you'd like. Place them on the lined table starting with the sauces, then the cheeses, then the meats, then the extras.
3. Once they're all in the exact place you want to display them, label each ingredient by writing on the wrapping paper or tablecloth with the marker. Place the platter of pizzas at the start of the pizzas bar. Let everyone build their pizzas then place them back in the oven for about 4 more minutes.
CHEERS TO A HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!!