I was introduced to Poppyseed Chicken when I was in college at Delta State. Every Wednesday my sorority sisters and I gathered at the BSU for a great service and luncheon - it was a good mid-week pickmeup and the food beat the mess out of eating on campus. Poppyseed chicken day was always one of my favorites! This is a healthy spin on a classic! Low-fat, high-protein, and absolutely plate-scraping delicious!
Grocery list (4 servings):
- 1 whole smoked chicken (I love the ones from Whole Foods) - skin removed, meat shredded
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot - sliced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 (8 oz) packages mushrooms - sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons Marsala cooking wine
- 2 cans low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, plus more for topping
- Pepper - to taste
- 12 reduced fat butter-flavored crackers - crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon melted butter or olive oil
In a large bowl, mix together the shredded chicken and quinoa. Set aside. Heat a large saute pan with the olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the shallot, garlic, mushrooms and salt. Stir together until the mushrooms start to wilt. Add the marsala and saute a few more minutes until mushrooms are soft.
Pour the mushroom mixture into the bowl with the chicken and quinoa. Add the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and poppyseed and stir together until completely combined. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into 4 large ramekins and top with the cracker crumbs, butter or olive oil, and a sprinkle of the poppyseeds. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
CHEERS TO HAPPY EATING!!!