When I cheered at Delta State, I had a friend who invited me to her family's house for dinner one night. It was there I was introduced to a chocolate cake that even I, a non chocolate lover, fell in love with. So much that my momma has made me this cake for my birthday almost every year since! I have put a spin on this cake and made it into individual portions in two ways.. One is the original and one is perfect for the holidays. They're both divine! SEE THE VIDEO FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS!!!
Grocery list (4 individual cakes):
- Butter and flour – for greasing
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake mix
- 3 large eggs – lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup Health Bar Candy crumbles
- 1 cup Andes Mint Candy or York Peppermint Patties – chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and lightly flour 4 large ramekins (about 1 cup in size). In a large bowl, whisk the cake mix together with 1 cup water, beaten eggs, and oil until smooth. Pour into prepared ramekins about halfway up and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until set.
2. Make the whipped cream by whipping together the heavy cream and sugar. Spoon half of the whipped cream mixture into another bowl. To one bowl of whipped cream, add the vanilla extract and; to the other bowl add the peppermint extract. Stir each together with separate spoons.
3. When the cakes are cool, several small slits all over the tops of each cake with a knife, almost pushing the knife to the very bottom. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly into the ramekins, letting the milk soak into the cake. After about 10 minutes, turn each individual cake out onto a plate.
4. Top two of the cakes with the regular whipped cream and the other two cakes with the peppermint whipped cream. Sprinkle Health Bar candy bits on the cakes with regular whipped cream. Sprinkle Andes Chocolate or York Peppermint bits on the ones with peppermint whipped cream. Let guests choose which one they want – or serve them both!
*** This cake can also be made in a baking pan. Just bake cake in a 13 x 9 pan for 25-30 minutes, prepare with sweetened condensed milk the same way and choose toffee flavor or peppermint flavor for the whipped cream and crumbles.
CHEERS TO HAPPY EATING!!!