Once upon a time, I took Tres to the Pearl Jam concert at Wrigly Field in Chicago, and since then we have become Chicago summer regulars. In addition to an awesome concert scene and perfect weather, Chicago has easily become one of my favorite food cities. I had the best sliders of my entire life at Sable Kitchen and Bar in this great city! We found out about the place from a local, and the cocktails and food did not disappoint. When visiting a city with tons of great restaurants, we rarely go back to the same restaurant more than once, but we ended up at Sable three times for their truffle sliders!! So of course, I had to recreate them when I got home, and I have to say, mine are pretty close to the real thing!
2 tbsp oo
2 tbsp butter
2 onions - sliced thin
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 lb Ground Chuck (80 lean/20 fat)
3 oz truffle butter - room temperature
4 oz Taleggio or Havarti cheese
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp honey
10 mini burger buns or rolls
1/4 cup mayo
1 tsp truffle oil
1) Heat grill to medium-high. On your stovetop, heat olive oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium-low. Add onions, balsamic vinegar, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Put the lid over the pan and let onions cook, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and let onions continue to cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. When ready they should be soft, brown, and caramelized.
2) While the onions cook, prep the sliders. In a medium bowl, add ground chuck, 2 oz truffle butter, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Mix ingredients together lightly with a fork - just enough to combine. Be careful to not over mix or the meat will get tough. Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, shape the meat into 10 patties. In the center of each patty, make an indention with your thumb (this will keep sliders from puffing up too much when grilling).
3) Add 1 tbsp of honey to the leftover 1 oz truffle butter and mix together. Open each burger bun and spread the mixture on the inside of each bun.
4) Place buns on the grill, cut side down and toast for about 1 minute. Grill sliders for about 2 minutes on each side. When you flip the burgers, top each one with a slice of cheese and close the lid the last minute.
5) In a small bowl, add the mayo, truffle oil, and 1 tsp honey and mix together. Build burgers by spreading the mayo mixture on the buns. Top with the cheesy burger and the caramelized onions.
CHEERS TO HAPPY EATING!!!