I started making pasta dough just a little over a year ago... Now I have no idea why I didn't start sooner! Eat homemade pasta and you'll never want to go back to store-bought! I use this for homemade lasagna, spaghetti, linguine, and my absolute favorite: my Homemade Ricotta Raviolis with Brown Butter Sage Sauce.
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg yolks
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. On a large cutting board or clean countertop, dump the cake flour and all-purpose flour together into a mound. Make a well in the middle and add the egg yolks, salt, and olive oil. Beat the egg yolks, salt, and oil together with a fork until smooth.
2. With about 1/3 cup of water near, slowly begin bringing the flour into the egg mixture, adding 1 tsp of water at a time to moisten the dough. Continue to bring the flour into the dough, adding water as needed. Once all the flour is somewhat mixed in, bring the dough together with your hands and begin kneading it together. If the dough is too wet, add more flour. If it’s too dry, add more water. Once it forms into a rough ball, begin kneading for 6 to 8 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Completely cover in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes. When ready to use, cut the dough ball into four equal parts. Working with each piece of dough one at a time, form into a thin, rectangular disk then run through a pasta rolling machine, starting with the thickest setting. Continue to run the dough through several times, adjusting the setting each time until the pasta is about 1/8 to 1/16 inch thick. From here, you can make the ravioli or have sheets of pasta for lasagna. If you want spaghetti or linguine, use a machine to cut the pasta out.
* Homemade pasta only takes a couple of minutes to cook. Boil in salted water for 1-2 minutes.