Last year Tres and I went with a big group of friends to St. Barts. Aside from being one of the best vacations we have ever been on, I also found of my favorite dishes of all time and I’ve decided to recreate it – Caribbean Tuna is fresh and healthy and will make you want to hit up some warmer weather. St. Barts is one of the most unique caribean islands. It’s so tiny, you have to take a hopper jet over, but the flight in alone is worth taking the trip. The scenery is beautiful and the island is full of great food! What makes it so unique is it’s a French colony, so the people speak French and the food is very French, with a slight island influence. What’s so cool about St Barts is it’s known to be the #1 destination place for celebrities so on this new year with everyone sick of the cold weather, I thought why not take you back to St Barts with me by making my favorite dish from there! Plus, it’s a new year, and we all have resolutions to watch what we eat… This is a healthy dish to keep you right on your diet track!
Grocery list (4 people):
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 (4-6 oz) good quality tuna steaks
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp Jamaican Jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 medium ripe mangos or papayas – chopped
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 lime – zested and juiced
- 1 large handful of mint – chopped, plus more for garnish
1. Add olive oil to a sauté pan and heat over medium high heat. Season tuna with Kosher salt. Combine the Jamaican Jerk seasoning, paprika, garlic, and cinnamon in a small bowl and stir together. Cover each tuna steak liberally with the mixture, pressing to adhere. Let Tuna steaks sit for at least 20 minutes or until they come to room temperature.
2. Make the mojito sauce by combining the mango or papaya, yogurt, honey, lime zest and juice, mint, and salt together in a blender. Blend at high speed until smooth.
3. Sear each tuna steak for 1-2 minutes on each side for rare. They should form a crust on each side. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and slice thin. Cover a plate with a thin layer of the mojito sauce, top with the sliced tuna and a sprig of mint.
CHEERS TO HAPPY EATING!!!