I talked to a couple of galfriends of mine who went to State and found out a pretty neat story! State football games are notorious for being held on Saturday mornings; therefore, breakfast and brunch are often the tailgate foods served up. A local shop in Starkville, The Biscuit Shop, is really popular and sells out crazy fast on gameday. They carry unique, seasonal homemade biscuits such as King Cake, Hot Chocolate Buttermilk, Red Velvet, and Sweet Potato. A fall favorite is Maple Bacon, so I decided to recreate it. These are absolutely to die for... You have to make them!!! Grocery list:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter - cold, plus more for the pan
- 7 slices bacon - fried and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus more to brush the biscuits
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp water
1. Heat oven to 450. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cube the butter into small pieces and add to the flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter or your hands, incorporate the flour into the flour, working quickly, until the butter pieces become very small and the mixture looks like cornmeal. Add about 3/4 of the bacon bits and stir to combine.
2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk, cream, and maple syrup. Using your hands, slowly start to bring the dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and begin to incorporate until the dough comes together in a ball. Once it's somewhat combined, dump the mixture on a floured board and bring together by lightly kneading -- but don't overwork -- the less you handle your dough, the fluffier your biscuits will be. Flatten dough out until it's about 1 inch thick and cut out biscuits using a small biscuit or cookie cutter.
3. Butter the bottom and sides of a cast iron pan and add biscuits, allowing them to touch. Brush the extra cream over the top of the biscuits. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until golden.
4. For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, maple syrup, and water until smooth. When the biscuits are cooled, drizzle the glaze over the top of the biscuits and sprinkle with the rest of the bacon bits.
CHEERS TO FOOTBALL FOOD!!!